How much carbon can nature absorb?
Learn about a pioneering new public dataset that measures changes in terrestrial carbon stocks, shows how stocks have changed over the last 20 years, and what this means for our future.
To slow the climate emergency, we must transition away from fossil fuels rapidly and remove carbon from the atmosphere. Nature-based solutions from forest protection to reforestation and grassland management offer a critical climate solution. However, questions remain, including:
• Can nature-based solutions absorb emissions at scale?
• Can we systematically verify their integrity and reliability in remote locations?
• How much carbon does a particular landscape absorb from the atmosphere?
• Does the sequestration last?
• Which countries and locations are making the biggest contribution, and which ones are losing out?